Position: Director, Private Funds Attorney
Reports to: Managing Director & Chief Operating Officer
Wafra Inc. (“Wafra” or the “Firm”) is a leading global investment firm currently managing approximately $27 billion in assets and commitments across a variety of asset strategies. Behind our investment strategies are talented professionals, principally in New York and other financial centers, who bring expertise and experience to deliver strategic, reward-focused solutions. Wafra seeks to provide long-term investment return solutions that span not just years, but generations.
Wafra pursues excellence in all areas of its operations and activities; the Wafra Corporate Legal Department (“Wafra Corporate Legal”) is no exception. Wafra Corporate Legal is currently comprised of five seasoned professionals with significant prior experience that includes leading financial institutions and law firms who collectively make up a diverse and dynamic team. Wafra Corporate Legal is the authority for strategic legal advice firmwide and supports all investment teams and corporate groups across the firm. The ideal candidate will have very strong fund formation experience as well as strong commercial, transactional, and general corporate law experience. Familiarity with basic tax concepts as they relate to alternative investments preferred. Total compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- As a senior attorney in the legal department, provide legal advice to senior management and investment teams on a wide variety of complex legal matters
- Lead the launch of new funds and products including producing fund organizational documents, private placement memoranda, investment advisory agreements, management agreements, limited partnership agreements, employee investment vehicles and organizational bylaws for private investment funds
- Provide ongoing legal advice on corporate and fund related matters
- Review investment documentation, including investor rights agreements, joint venture agreements, side letters, purchase and sale agreements and related
- Advise on investment structures
- Negotiate derivative documentation and loan agreements
- Negotiate 3rd party agreements
- Collaborate with other teams across Wafra on cross functional projects
- Represent legal on internal committees and working groups
- Perform other duties as assigned
- J.D. and NY Bar membership are required
- 8-12 years of top law firm experience (or a similar private equity or other alternative asset manager) with a focus on fund formation, corporate and transactional law
- In-depth knowledge of the Advisors Act, 40 Act, 33 Act, 34 Act and Dodd-Frank
- Experience with general corporate governance matters and commercial contracts (e.g., NDAs, consulting agreements, vendor agreements, employment agreements)
- Independent, self-starter, with ability to prioritize work and projects as well as being able to work well with the corporate team and other business units
- Experience with both US and offshore jurisdictions preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Please send your resume to [email protected] with the subject line “Private Funds Attorney”.
This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Wafra Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.Apply for a job