Position: Vice President – Transactions Counsel
Wafra Inc., a New York City-based global investment firm with approximately $25 billion in assets under management, is seeking an in-house transactions counsel to join its legal team supporting Wafra’s alternative investments group.
Wafra’s alternative investments group invests across the capital structure in four core business lines: (i) principal investing in financial services firms (ii) global opportunistic and distressed investments (iii) alternative real estate, infrastructure, and other real asset private equity and financing and (iv) liquid alternatives investing.
The Vice President will provide legal support to Wafra’s alternative investment activities across its business lines, including private equity, real assets, credit and special situations. This position will work with a close-knit team of attorneys who support the alternative investments business working closely with investment professionals as an integral part of deal teams. The Vice President will be expected to act as in-house counsel responsible for all legal aspects of deal execution, including negotiating, structuring, preparing and reviewing documentation.
This is an opportunity to join a dedicated, collaborative and dynamic legal team that is closely integrated with an established and growing business.
- Prepare, review and negotiate documentation related to alternative investment activities across private equity, real assets, credit and special situations, including term sheets, purchase agreements, letters of intent, shareholder agreements, credit agreements and ancillary documents
- Advise investment professionals on deal terms and structuring
- Professionally communicate complex ideas to non-legal colleagues and internal clients
- Engage in portfolio asset management and monitoring, including managing relationships with executive teams, assisting with growth initiatives, company financing, etc.
- Oversee external counsel
- Participate in investment committee discussions
- Assist in all other aspects of the firm’s growth, including providing input on best practices, mentoring junior professionals, building culture, participating in fundraising activities, etc.
- Undergraduate and law degrees from top-tier institutions with strong academic performance
- 5-7 years of combined experience, in-house at a private equity/credit/infrastructure/asset management fund and/or a top law firm
- In-house asset management or credit/debt financing experience is a plus
- Ability to lead all aspects of a transaction from a legal standpoint; review and negotiate deal documentation, structuring, coordinate with subject matter experts, due diligence, and communicate with outside counsel
- Commercial orientation and ability to counsel investment professionals as thought partner, biased towards considered action, rather than the provision of legal advice alone
Strong analytical, drafting, and communication skills
- Desire to collaborate as well as ability to show leadership skills as needed
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to execute work with multiple deadlines
- Ownership of projects as-a-whole (rather than mere completion of a series of tasks)
- Familiarity with common private fund structures
- Knowledge of basic tax and regulatory considerations
- Desire to develop knowledge in new areas of law
- Admitted to practice in New York
Please send your resume to AIDRecruiting@wafra.com with the subject “Vice President—Transactions Counsel”.
This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Wafra Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.Apply for a job